Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Stuff is Just Stuff

Many years ago when I lost Everything in my life except my clothes, my jewelry and my project materials, I was So Angry!

Having "stuff" had become so important to me.  I felt like all my possessions represented all the hard work I had dedicated my life to, over the last 13 years.  

Stuff had come to represent my worth.

But God wanted me to learn that what really matters is "who I am, my skills and talents, my character and reputation." Everything else I can recreate or replace......my condo, my car, my furniture, my belongings and my job!

After awhile I gained a detachment to things ~ If I didn't need it, I didn't buy it.  

So it was hard for me to have patience with Jeff's ever growing sports collection that started out filling a large walk in closet, and soon overtook our finished basement.

When we moved into the house we bought together, the finished basement was supposed to be a sports room, showcasing some of his collection; but ultimately become a place we could hang out, watch sporting events, entertain, and Zack could play.

The problem was there were boxes piled everywhere, jerseys hanging on a department store clothing rack, bats filling a big bamboo basket, hockey sticks overflowing on a bench and piled on the floor, items stacked on two large book shelves. The amount of stuff even overwhelmed Jeff, and the room Never got organized and was used for storage.

Numerous times over the years I tried to talk Jeff into selling some things, and get rid of items to utilize that room, but he clung on to his "stuff" for dear life.

I never understood why he would buy a jersey or a hockey stick and only have it sit around collecting dust. And with working at the Meadowlands he would come home with all types of souvenirs that seemed like junk to me.

Up until the very end those items still held importance to him.

After he was gone ~ I was so Angry as I stood in my basement, looking around at all the "stuff."  I lost him but I still had all this!

In the end Stuff Does Not Matter!

The statement resonated with me ~ "We come into this world with nothing and we leave with nothing.  You can't take it with you!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment