Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mother's Day for Kids and Pets

Just like any holiday there are good experiences and tough emotions that I go through.

Mother's Day mornings used to include sleeping in, then breakfast in bed put together by Jeff and Zack, and then presenting me with sentimental cards with handwritten love notes that I cherished.

And usually Jeff went with Zack the day before to our local florist to order flowers that they would then bring home and give to me together.

Zack misses not having his dad to do that with.......it's a huge void for him, and for me, missing that tradition, and because I loved that bonding moment of "my men."

But on Sunday I also had another rush of emotions that tugged on my heart.

Jeff and I were together for many years before we had Zack, and when I first met Jeff he had a one year old brindle boxer named Jasmine.

Jasmine was his princess and I wasn't used to big dogs.  I hadn't had a dog since I was a kid and that was a miniature doberman pincher.  It took me a little while to get used to her rhythm ~ but soon she became my "Jasmine girl."

Living in New Jersey was very difficult for me and Jeff was involved with the Meadowlands A lot .... so Jasmine provided the comfort and unconditional love that I needed.

After we got married and we were trying to get pregnant, to no avail, Jeff was craving another boxer puppy.  One dog was plenty for me but he wanted another, and I was up for the challenge.

Aspen was a white boxer male that was so full of energy and excited to join our family. That crazy puppiness never left him! Jasmine became the big sister and our house was suddenly busy with 2 dogs.

When I did become pregnant and Zack was born, Jasmine slept by the crib, guarding and protecting the baby, and Aspen was all love, so excited to see this little baby grow up.

The Mother's and Father's days before Zack were spent exchanging cards from "the dogs." After Zack there were cards from him and from "the dogs."

Jasmine passed away at a ripe old age of 11 and it was a very sad day in our household.  Aspen was just as lost ~ losing his sister.  He wasn't the same for six months.

Right before I lost Jeff, I also had to say goodbye to Aspen.  And it seemed like I was losing parts of my heart as they all went up to heaven.  My doggie kids and my husband.

Today Zack would like to get another dog, but I'm not ready for that commitment ~ time, love and my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment