Tuesday, March 29, 2016

An Ode to My Family

My cousin Renee re-posted a memorial piece that she had written on Facebook a few years ago, remembering all our family members that passed away too soon, and it got me thinking.

Over the years I have reflected on the pain of loss that my family has endured and wondered why so many lights went out so young?

Is it because we have a big family?  My father has 6 sisters and 1 brother, and each sibling has two or three children.  That is a lot of cousins to grow up with, and we are a tight knit family, growing up in Connecticut together.
  
Over time, bright shining stars have left us behind.

My cousin Kurt in a car accident when he was 18 years old, my cousin Lori in a plane crash in her early 20's, my cousin Morgan in her sleep in her mid 20's, my cousin Margo in her mid 30's, my cousin Colin in his 40's, my cousin's husband in a car accident, leaving behind a young daughter.  And two Uncles who went way too soon.

Is it because our family has such a strong faith ~ are we supporting and raising kind hearted people  to then go on to help God in Heaven.

It is so hard to understand God's plan and why he chooses to take the people he does. So often we hear that 'God takes the good ones.'  In the case of my family, I would say that statement is True.

What I do know, is that if it wasn't for my family's strong faith and role modeling their inner strength, the left behind may not have survived their losses. 

Love, Faith, Family and Strength -- it is what gets us through the challenges of Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment