Monday, July 8, 2013

Women Role Models

When I was in my 20's and a striving woman entrepreneur there were NO women role models that I could look up to and follow.  All the "business books" that I read showcased male dominated businesses.  

In the industry that I worked in, filled with furniture and accessory manufacturers it was an 'old boys network', there were No women owned businesses. Almost all the conversations I had with decision makers were with men.

So as I walked the halls of the Big Furniture Markets in High Point, NC, Atlanta, and Dallas I may not have been totally taken seriously as a 27 year old female, but I was respected because as President of a company that represented clients such as Sears and Montgomery ward I brought buying power where ever I went.

Today I look around at all the women CEO's, Philanthropists, and Entrepreneurs and I get excited for our current generation of girls.  Girls and young women now have real role models to show them the way, and to enlighten them on the mistakes they've made on their journey to get to the position they are in today.

I look forward to seeing the progress they will make as they grow into Women.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment