Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Where Are the Women Investors?

Last year after putting together a business plan to launch my DB Adventures project into the education and technology space nationwide, and build out a company to make that happen, I started talking to investors.

I already knew that our educational system needed to change and teaching kids by using technology is the way to go.  I also knew when I created an Adventure Series for kids and developed a whole online, interactive, comprehensive curriculum to accompany it, with a turn key system for teachers, that it would be a valuable resource.

It was developed with several different learning styles in mind.  It was created with flexibility for teachers to easily incorporate the lessons into their daily plan, and it provided valuable life skills needed to help students succeed in our emerging world.

Everyone I spoke to about the program loved it, and kids loved the story and the characters.  The people who didn't really get it were the male Angel Investors and male Venture Capitalists.  They were all looking for the next Facebook or technological advancement created by a college kid working out of his apartment, writing code.

Men tend to have a different vision than women do and while I have always worked with men throughout my career, I felt in this case, having a woman invest in this program may be more beneficial.  Women get the benefits of empowering our children and providing them with the tools they need to succeed.

But at the time there were rarely any women at the funding lunches, cocktail gatherings and an all day investing event that I attended.

In the beginning of 2012 studies showed that only 10-15% of Angel Investors and Venture Capitalists were women.  By the end of 2012, that number was beginning to change! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment