Monday, June 10, 2013

Provide The Tools

When I first became an advocate for kids back in the 90's, as a Guardian ad Litem volunteer, I saw the impact I could make on a child's life by standing up for that child in court and providing a voice.

I then became addicted to the impact I was making whenever I got involved in a case.  But I realized that I was only able to help one child at a time and there were SO MANY languishing in foster care.

I saw so many needs going unmet and I decided to do what I do best -- create a non-profit and find solutions to the problems.

I believe there are 2 ways to help with problems -- there is the short term fix -- which is to provide a need in that moment, and there is a long term fix which is to solve the problem completely.

When I was coaching kids, I saw so many children given medication as an immediate solution, or a quick fix to school issues, anxiety, anger, frustration or possible suicidal tendencies.

These medications never really "fixed" the problem, they only masked them.

My work involved finding the cause of the problem and providing tools to fix the negative situation in their life.  Time and time again, with the right tools, that child began to blossom and flourish as the negative that was holding them back, fell away.

In our world today, I feel there have been numerous short term fixes going on, and not enough real solutions and tools being provided to problems.   

No comments:

Post a Comment